Rift Valley Technical Training Institute, emerged the first runner up in the Champions of Governance award. This is a testament for the recognition our institution progressive governance. This continuous improvement in governance and customer satisfaction has seen the institution to be validated as an East Africa Center of Exceellence and recently UNESCO-UNEVOC TVET Center for East and Central Africa.
The Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK) Champions of Governance (COG) Award which is now in its seventh edition aims at recognizing institutions and individuals that exhibit the highest standards of practice of good governance. The Award aims at promoting practices in good governance in the following ways:-
- Recognition of practice and application of good governance in the both the public and private sector entities.
- Recognition of innovations in organizations that support good governance
- Encouraging organizations to focus on enhancement of good governance.
ICPSK awarding body evaluated the following factors for each organization
- The Board of Directors
- Ethical Leadership and Corporate Citizenship
- Accountability Risk Management and Internal Control
- Transparency and Disclosure
- Shareholders Rights and Obligations
- Shareholders Relationship
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations
- Sustainability and Performance Management
Some of the parameters are applied discreetly, depending on the sector/organization set-up.
- All organizations participating in the COG Award are required to pay a nominal registration fee.
Each organization completes a registration form and submits it to the Institute together with the registration fee.
- Each participating organization is eligible to participate in the Chairman of the Year Award, the COG CEO of the Year Award and the Company Secretary of the Year Award.
- After registering and paying the registration fee, a self assessment form is sent to the organization for completion. This form should be returned to the Institute within 7 days of receiving it, together with all the supporting documentation.
- A team of two Assessment Consultants are assigned to the organization to carry out the evaluation.
The data collected from the organizations is then analyzed appropriately. The organizational performance is classified into sector ranking, overall ranking and other categories.
- The evaluation results are submitted to a Jury of eminent persons for decision making.
The decision of the Jury is final.
- A Gala night is held to award winners of the Award.
- A Governance Audit report is submitted to the organization by the Assessment Consultants.
- A Post-COG Award Workshop is held to review the Award process.